Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Shopping = Bad


Just wanted to give you guys an update on how my quad definition is going....mmmk, not really. This is a post about my most favorite thing: shopping. Also my least favorite thing: looking like a tool.

I've been giving a lot of thought to the wardrobing aspect of triathlons. Basically, I have to have to have an outfit that:

1. dries quickly,
2. involves a sports bra, and
3. lets me wear my bikey padded shorts for the bike ride.

And since the crazy conservatives in charge of triathlons don't allow you to actually strip and change between events, the only solution I could come up with layering. As in, sports bra under swimsuit under bike shorts, with a nice t-shirt over the top. That ensemble has a couple of obvious problems, most notably that I will be ONE BIG CHAFE by the end of the race.

SOOOOO (drumroll) I decided the only solution is just to suck up my pride and wear a tri-suit. This is something akin to a sausage casing - neck to knee Lycra. Know what it looks like? It looks like those suck-you-in outfits you wear under bridesmaid dresses. Only it is all you wear. In public. On a bike.

Now I knew the shopping was going to be awful. I just didn't realize it would be so ridiculous. And quick. I walked into the store and was pointed to the tri-suit section. Four racks of teensy outfits. Know how when you take cheap pantyhose out of the package, they look like they should fit a toddler? Same idea. These were like five inches wide and 18 inches long. So basically, I picked one up, gave it an experimental tug, and when it failed to expand from a size 2T to a size 12, I put it right back and walked out. The end.

I've been doing some online shopping, and all the suits I'm looking at appear to fit on an adult, so I'm going to give it another go this weekend.

1 comment:

Robin said...

Yeah, I understand the clothes... they just aren't flattering. Ideally, there will be pictures of this event that I can frame and display in public, and tri shorts and a tri top are not going to make that happen.