Friday, March 10, 2006

Life 1, Robin 0

Oh, Life, you are so clever. While I was all distracted worrying about triathlon training drama, you snuck up on me and kicked me in the teeth personally. Life, good move. I did not see this one coming.

Tonight I went to a David Gray concert. I've bought tickets for this particular show three times, but for one reason or another haven't been able to make it to any of the shows. Tonight, I was determined!!

I made it to the show, and it was great. One of my favorite artists, good show, the crowd was into it, a stadium full of people singing along, and I was on the 11th row.

About three songs into it, however, a couple showed up and sat right in front of me. While they technically had the right to use two seats, they actually only utilized about 1.3 seats - they were ENTANGLED. Giggly. Touching. Playing with each other's hair. Arms all around each other. This was annoying, but what REALLY annoyed me was that their combined heads eclipsed my view of the stage.

Here comes the kick in the teeth: during one of the songs, the stage lights swung our direction, and I realized this was not just an annoying couple, this was A GUY I JUST DATED and my apparent successor. Directly in front of me. Making out. To my favorite songs. Right in front of me.

The crappy parts are as follows: (1) This didn't look like new love. This looked like he met her on the drive home from our breakup. (2) At one point, he saw me sitting behind them, but instead of putting the brakes on the making out, it only INTENSIFIED. (3) She could be my sister, we look so alike. (4) This guy recently started calling and emailing me again. Apparently while still dating this girl.

GRRRRRR. How, in all the zillions of available seats, did they end up sitting directly in front of me?

So what was mostly an absolutely FANTASTIC night is now slightly marred. I feel like David Gray owes me a do-over.

No comments: