Friday, May 19, 2006

Fire Drill

So I just got back from a fire drill. Basically, this means the accounting department runs around forcing all the lawyers out of our offices ("But that's like thirteen minutes of billable time!!!") and into the hallway. If we don't all get out before the fire marshall gets there, we get fined, so the accounting department is very motivated.

Then, we usually just stand around talking about (1) how much it would suck if we actually had to walk down all those flights of stairs, or (2) the time that woman on the 40th floor set herself on fire trying to burn mementos of her ex-boyfriend on the balcony of their offices.

This time, however, we had a little twist.

My firm takes up half of our floor. The other half is taken up by a certain Enron defendant's legal team. The federal courthouse is across the street from my building, so it has been basically a big media circus around here the past few months. We're all relieved the jury is deliberating, and will be thrilled when this is over and the parking garage clears out a little.

Now, the Enroners basically keep to themselves. They have huges boxes blocking all the windows into their entryway, and they are all weird and silent in the hallways, and since they are from LA, they don't know that you're supposed to let women get on and off the elevator first, so there is always an awkward moment when we all ride it together and everyone surges forward en masse.

Today, however, the fire drill was the great equilizer. All of us had to get out and squish together in the entryway. So, I just stood around for ten minutes or so of, "So, you guys hanging in over there?" "Ready to get back home, I bet?" "Is it always this hot here?" blah, blah, blah. Very weird to see these guys on TV, and also see them milling around by the elevators while we listen to the fire drill message screeched in four languages.

In other news, I have my first official triathlon on Sunday. On Wednesday, I found out THAT I AM SWIMMING WRONG. I am really unsure how in the past four months Coach Jim managed to miss it, but apparently my freestyle stroke is a no-go. So, we got that all squared away, and went on with class, and my chest and shoulders were EXHAUSTED by the end of class. This worries me a little bit, but hell, I figure I'm going to have to do a backstroke/dog paddle combo for most of the swim anyway.

I'll let you know how it goes...

1 comment:

Heidi MacInnis said...

Good luck to my favorite triathlete!!! I'll be rooting for ya!