Thursday, May 11, 2006

Always say FUNERAL

So I've received a ton of emails asking for the exact details of the partner/Robin confrontation. You guys are totally interested in the juicy details, vultures. Here's how it went down:

Robin: (walks toward security line, fumbling for driver's license. spots partners. freezes. waves feebly. )
Partner 1: Hey!! What are you doing here?
Robin: Um, yeah! Hi, are you guys going to a trial?
Partner 2: Yeah, an appellate trial. What about you?
Robin: Oh, look, your turn in security. See you later!

At this point, we're seperated by the security lines, and AS ALWAYS I am flagged for extra security. So, while my shoes are being examined and my bag being swabbed and myself being patted down, they walk off.

Robin: (walking to gate, thinking, "Maybe they'll forget they saw me.")
Partners 1 and 2: Hey!! Look who's on our flight!! Awesome!! (Idle awkward chat, until...)
Partner 1: So, seriously, what are you going to Dallas for?

Now, in the intervening 24 hours, COUNTLESS people have said, like the smooth liars you know you are, "Please tell me you said funeral?" Like that just CAME to them, in an instant!!! I am much less smart, and frankly drew a blank, so I went with...

Robin: (deep breath) Ok, guys, I'm just going to level with you. I called in sick today, I'm wearing a suit, I'm at the airport...I think you can draw your own conclusions. I would really appreciate your discretion with my boss, but do what you have to do.

Partner 1: I called it!!! HA!

Partner 2: Seriously, Robin, if you're going to do this kind of thing, you have to fly out the night before, to avoid just this situation.

Robin: Um, ok, I'll remember that for next time?

The rest of the flight was fairly awkward as they joked about my last-minute "visit to my aunt" because of the "fabulous shopping" in Dallas. Yeah, that's it.

The good news is, yesterday at work was fine. I think they've actually decided to keep this all quiet, and be good guys about it.

So, all is well that ends well.

The lessons I have to pass on to the masses are as follows:

1. The answer is "Funeral"
2. Always fly out the night before. Save yourself the grief.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you only KNEW how handy Funerals are for getting out of all kinds of sticky situation.

Sometimes I just answer funeral for nothing at all.

"Id like 2 tickets to the 7:00 showing of funeral please"

or "can I get a #2 value sized with funeral?"

:P

Ok.. Im being silly now, but seriously.. Thats the ONLY other time people get dolled up AND travel. Too easy.

-The Undertaker

Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»

Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»