Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Swimming: A Cautionary Tale

So at swim class tonight, Coach Jim upgraded me from the Total Loser Lane to the Poor Swimmer Lane. I'm making progress!!!

Now water, as you might know, is not particularly dangerous. No thorns. No sharp edges. Nothing that could cause punctures, abrasions, or other skin injuries. Still, I hopped out of the water after tonight's class, and Coach Jim yelled, "HOLY MOLY!!!". (His words, not mine.) I thought he was pumped about my swimming improvement, but actually my left knee looked like I'd dragged it through broken glass. How did this happen? I have no clue. I've laid down a Harley Davidson and walked away with less damage than I somehow managed to suffer tonight surrounded by a cushion of water.

I also have a bruise the shape of a deck of cards on my thigh, and a three inch cut on my right leg, both of which I noticed last night after biking. When and how did these happen? No idea. My theory is that my body is so overwhelmed that it is spontaneously breaking down. I have spinning at 6:00 tomorrow morning (yes, that's like nine hours from now), so I'll probably have a broken rib or a concussion or something by lunchtime.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe theres too much chlorine in the water?

Have you ever had a pair of socks that you washed too many times with bleach and they all seemed fragile and ready to tear at a moments notice?

Im just sayin.. just thinking out loud.. Dave