Sunday, January 29, 2006

Just finish.

I have signed up for a triathlon training class. Holy crap. This may sound like no big deal, but let me give you some background.

1. I have the most crazy supportive family ever. Seriously, EVERYTHING I throw out there, they're in favor of. Anything I do, they're insanely proud of. This sounds nice, no? Sometimes, though, a girl needs some straight talk. Something along the lines of, "Hey, nice thought about that triathlon class. How's about starting smaller and more realistic, like with a spin class?" For better or worse, I don't get that. I get, "That sounds fun, sweetie!!! Let me know when your race is so I can tell grandma and grandpa! We'll make posters for the finish line!"

2. I am NOT an athlete. No t-ball, no kiddie soccer leagues, no gymnastics. No school athletic teams. In high school, I was an office aide in lieu of PE.

3. I'm a fairly curvy, thick girl. See #2. But it pisses me off that I'm not athletic. I have some buried issues with my parents for not forcing me into a nice summer basketball program, or maybe some swim lessons. Alas, my parents, in addition to being uber supportive, also think kids shouldn't be forced into things they don't show any interest in. This is a nice philosophy if you want your kids to become well-rounded adults, but as a road to junior high popularity, it leaves something to be desired.

4. I hate being scared of things. Again, it pisses me off. And I, my friends, am scared shite-less about this triathlon class, for the following reasons:
  • Coed swim classes twice a week.
  • Me in a swimsuit in public.
  • My last bike was a Huffy for Girls.
  • The other people that went to the orientation were all beautiful, athletic and sporty. In my mind they all drive XTerras and drink wheat germ. (Do you drink wheat germ? What is wheat germ?)

On the other hand, everything about it sounds exciting to me. There is a little part of me that jumps up and down at the idea of doing this. Now, I'm a realist. I realize that due to #2 and #3 I'm not going to WIN any race. I just want to finish. Just finish.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would have been crazy supportive too, sorry.

Hey, you know what? How about Olympics, Beijing 2008? GO FOR IT!!!!!